From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:31:09
1 Hi Andreas,
2
3 On 2021/03/23 00:54, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Council decided years ago that we don't support separate /usr without
5 >>> an initramfs, but we haven't completed that transition yet.
6 >> Which doesn't imply that we deliberately break things.
7 > That's right. Though we should at some point start thinking about an end of support for separate usr without initramfs.
8 >
9 > Why? Because the number of required hacks and complexity will only increase, as will the number of uncooperative upstreams. It's called a strategic retreat. :D
10 >
11 > My suggestion would be that the next profile version (21? 22?) declares separate /usr a broken configuration, and explicitly encourages devs to introduce all ebuild simplifications that are made possible by this. (Like this symlink - no more conditional code.) No more discussions about "not breaking things" at that point.
12
13 Why was it ever copied in the first place?  For as long as I can recall
14 (been using Gentoo since 2003) I've always been using a symlink here,
15 not to mention a separate /usr (which has only been in the last year or
16 so mounted from initrd along with /lib/firmware - which was the trigger
17 point when it became too big to be contained on our normal / partition,
18 the other fix would have been to be more selective in which firmware to
19 install but that would be a higher administrative overhead).
20
21 To this day I still believe that / should contain a minimal viable
22 bootable system (give me a shell and just enough to perform basic tasks
23 like activating LVM, repairing and mounting filesystems, and ideally
24 some or another editor such as busybox vi is good enough, mostly
25 everything else can go to /usr even with it being "split").
26
27 I still don't see why a split /usr is a bad thing.  In fact, there are a
28 significant number cases where I've had FS corruption which I was able
29 to recover without the need for additional bootable media (which when
30 working remotely via IP KVMs can be difficult at best) due to "living in
31 the past" as you say.
32
33 There is no reason a symbolic link can't cross a filesystem boundary ...
34 it's hard links that can't.
35
36 Kind Regards,
37 Jaco
38
39 > (Or to put it another way, I think we should stop wasting time and effort here just to be able to live in the past.)
40 >