From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Question about xfree86-4.3.0-r6
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:17:54
1 On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:49, Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > I am guessing here; I don't know why it's hard masked. I suggest you look
3 > at the ChangeLog and address the question to spyderous.
4
5 I don't see much in the ChangeLog to give any hints. The listing in
6 package.mask is:
7 # <seemant@g.o> 21 May, 2003
8 # Masked while it's still under development. I need revision control on
9 the
10 # thing, which is why it's in portage at all. Do NOT install this.
11 # 30 May, 2003 : Seems that xterm is in its own separate package as
12 well, so
13 # taking that out of -r3. Added utempter, (dep for xterm to not install
14 # suid)
15 =x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6
16 media-fonts/chkfontpath
17
18 I guess I would just like to see us using common font locations across
19 our 2 major X builds.
22 > That said:
23 > I think one of the reasons is the font directory change, but I am not part
24 > of the xfree herd, and I have no direct information.
25 >
26 > I can tell you that for sparc, it runs just like xfree-4.3.0-r5, but with
27 > the font move. I can also tell you that for sparc, you are better off
28 > bypassing 4.3.0-r6, 4.3.xx, and moving directly to xorg-x11. But I am
29 > not developing tools to run on both.
30
31 Actually, I am working with a tool to create working X configurations.
32 Currently, it works with xfree, but not xorg-x11. To get it to work
33 with xorg-x11 (and eventually allow us to transition that way), the
34 fonts need to be in the same place.
35
36 > I don't know what architectures interest you, but sparc is not likely
37 > to be high on your list :)
38
39 I don't know much about it, but I'll be learning much more that I
40 started my new position, since we have a decent amount of sparc
41 machines.
42
43 > (On sparc, I would say "go for it (-r6) if you need to," but I do not
44 > presume to suggest that is the case for anything else. I would also
45 > say "don't even think about 4.3.99-xxx, because it likely won't work
46 > the way you want, and you won't get much sympathy if you complain." But
47 > I am speaking for myself here.)
48
49 I don't want 4.3.99. All I want is for the fonts to be in the same
50 place on both X servers. ;]
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Developer, Gentoo Linux
55 Games Team