From: Christian Loitsch <gentoo-dev@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] .bashrc and .bash_profile
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:07:37
1 before opening a bug report, I wanted to be sure, that the following is
2 correct.
3
4 /etc/skel/.bashrc says that it is sourced by all bash shells whether
5 interactive or not.
6
7 But "man bash" says:
8 When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is
9 started, bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc,
10 if that file exists.
11
12 .bashrc is sourced by .bash_profile
13 As .bash_profile is sourced for all login shells:
14
15 == manpage: ==
16 When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as
17 a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
18 reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
19 that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for
20 ~/.bash_profile, [snip]
21 ====
22
23 it should probably say:
24 # This file is sourced by all interactive bash shells on startup,
25 # whether
26 # login or not. This file *should generate no output* or it will break
27 # the
28 # scp and rcp commands.
31 I also would tend to give the alias' into the .bashrc.
32
33 This is also to e.g. allow "exec screen" inside the .bash_profile
34
35 Please tell me, if I should fill out a bug-report.
36
37 christian