From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:59:33
1 On 2010.06.28 14:43, Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >
4 > Not taking technical sides in this thread simply because I have no
5 > time to
6 > argue it at length, BUT:
7 >
8 > Simply because a topic has been discussed to *death* does not
9 > mean
10 > the
11 > correct answer was obtained, only that a majority agree it is
12 > what
13 > they
14 > want. And while consensus may be enough to be considered 'right'
15 > in social
16 > situations(politics, etc.), the second the discussion becomes
17 > technical the
18 > opinion of the masses becomes irrelevant. All that then matters
19 > is
20 > getting
21 > the technical part objectively right, which IS possible, despite
22 > what some
23 > may say.
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > Thomas
27 > --
28 > ---------
29 > ~Thomas Anderson~
30 > ---------
31 >
32 All of engineering involves compromise.
33
34 There is no point in waiting for a perfect solution to an engineering
35 issue if that solution is so far away nobody wants to wait.
36
37 The compromises become political discussions and we have seen plenty of
38 them already. As its 'the masses' that will implement the solution, not
39 the idealists, its time to go with the compromise that has been
40 hammered out elsewhere ... unless of course the idealists have a patch
41 already.
44 Regards,
45
46 Roy Bamford