From: Tom Syroid <tom@×××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] KDE-CVS Update Failing
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:29:33
1 Mornin'
2
3 [apologies in advance if this is overkill, but I CC'd this to the dev list
4 as well in case the solution is beyond the scope of gentoo-user]
5
6 I've been happily using KDE-CVS for over two months now (kudos to the KDE
7 dev team, and thanks to Dan for supplying timely ebuilds for this). No
8 problems whatsoever. About three weeks ago I did an "emerge -up kde" and
9 the list displayed two packages: kdeedu-5 and kde-5. I tried to emerge
10 them, and the build failed on kdeedu / khangman. Error: "no rule to make
11 all".
12
13 * I've been dutifully applying Dan's KDE-CVS ebuilds whenever I see a new
14 update.
15
16 * Every couple days I do a "rm -rf" of the portage distfiles/cvs-src
17 directory and start fresh.
18
19 * I've tried using both the PACKAGE_OVERLAY option and untarring the latest
20 KDE-CVS ebuild to /usr/portage.
21
22 * I've tried commenting out the KDE-beta2 stuff in package.mask and leaving
23 it commented out. No difference (didn't think this should matter, but WTH).
24
25 No joy.
26
27 My "emerge -up kde" output still shows only the two packages and the build
28 always falls down with khangman.
29
30 This is not a showstopper for me, as KDE continues to work flawless, but
31 (a) it's perplexing me no end, and (b) I wouldn't mind having the kdeedu
32 stuff on my system for my daughter to play with.
33
34 1. It seems increasingly odd to me that after three weeks of updates to the
35 CVS tree my emerge output is only listing two packages.
36
37 2. It seems increasingly odd to me that after three weeks the KDE devs have
38 not fixed the errant makefile for khangman.
39
40 3. I'm beginning to think I'm doing something wrong / missing something
41 vital here.
42
43 Any insights, suggestions, explanations for my errors would be greatly
44 appreciated. I'm running 1.4 "unstable", current as of this morning.
45
46 Best,
47 /tom