From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] have portage be quiet by default
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:44:12
1 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
2 > Excerpts from Dale's message of 2011-11-14 13:17:28 +0100:
3 >> Here is some feedback then. I liked it the way it was. When a build
4 >> fails, I do a one of install of that package and I like to see the
5 >> output. Why, because sometimes it gives me a hint as to why it failed
6 >> or something I can google for.
7 > If it fails you get tail of build.log, so you see it anyway.
10 That doesn't always go back far enough tho. I have on my new rig seen
11 the failure be as far back as a couple hundred lines. There are a
12 number of times that I have had to use the Find function to even find
13 the original failure because it is so far back. I have even set Konsole
14 to have unlimited history. Unless it is going to tail -n 500 or more,
15 that may not go back far enough. This is the age of multiple cores and
16 enough ram to use tmpfs. I have both. 4 cores and 16Gbs of ram.
17
18 MAKEOPTS="-j10"
19 tmpfs on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
20
21 The MAKEOPTS is increasing. I'm looking for that sweet spot. ;-)
22
23 Dale
24