From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES_maketest_question
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:03:17
1 > Personally, I use it because it gives me extra checks that a package
2 > is working correctly before I merge into my system and potentially
3 > break things. Since I am mostly using non-x86 this becomes more
4 > likely.
5
6 So peace of mind is your motivation?
7
8 > Btw, if we (as users) run into a package that fails maketest, is opening
9 > a bug the right thing to do?
10
11 I can't speak for all packages, but for GNOME packages, we'll take
12 patches you can provide that fix "make test" errors, but we don't have
13 time to look into fixing the tests ourselves.
14
15 Unfortunately, "make test" isn't uniformly adhered to upstream, and in
16 my experience, the tests that are conducted with it are often outdated,
17 and/or unmaintained. In these cases, "make test" doesn't provide any
18 indication of the state of the software - if it's
19 runnable/testable/linkable/however the tests are conducted.
20
21 This said, I'm not aware of (any?) Gentoo policy/stance on this, if
22 anyone can fill me in on that, please do.
23
24 Mike Gardiner
25 (Obz)
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list