From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:30:38
1 On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > In this day and age not having a network-capable install out the box is
3 > silly. The first major action after unpacking the tarball is going to be
4 > adding new packages and doing updates, the source code for which is on
5 > the network.
6
7 A network manager isn't needed to use a network - only to set one up.
8 The network is already set up when you unpack the tarball and chroot
9 into it.
10
11 You could just as easily argue that in this day and age not having a
12 kernel install out-of-the-box is silly, and yet that is exactly how we
13 supply the stage3. There isn't an obvious choice for a kernel, so we
14 don't make it for the user. We could just stick gentoo-sources in
15 there and let the user unmerge it and merge something else, I suppose.
16
17 We don't ship a working pulseaudio either, since many don't use it,
18 and alternatives exist.
19
20 I guess the main virtue of the openrc network managers is that they're
21 disabled by default, and at the moment I don't think they collide with
22 anything else. That being the case, their inclusion isn't as
23 impactful as it would be for other packages.
24
25 Rich