From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] I've Got Root Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good Work, Lads!
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:43:21
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 20:21, Stroller wrote:
2 > If there really are folks out there reading mail from their root account (I
3 > mean, _is this possible?_), surely we need to be educating them better..?
4
5 on my desktop i run everything as root ... my desktop is the only time i'll do
6 such a thing of course ;)
7 just makes X/games/sounds/everything easier w/out worrying about sudo/su.
8
9 > I was really quite surprised when an redhat-newbie acquaintance recently
10 > showed me it was possible to log in as root to the GUI on a modern Linux
11 > system. I mean: why does the (kdm?) graphical login window permit this..?
12
13 it's all about choice ... if you choose to login as root then fine ... dont
14 restrict someone to do what they want ;)
15
16 after all, just like Owen Gunden <ogunden@××××××××××××.edu> pointed out, users
17 are free to do whatever they want with their own machines. i choose to run
18 my desktop as a sacrifical box; reinstall if i get hax0red ... i keep
19 everything important on a secured server anyways ;)
20 -mike
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list