From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:01:04
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 16:56, Stuart Bouyer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:14:46 +0000
3 >
4 > Yes, I'm well aware of this (I used to be the CJK developer before
5 > real-life rudely interrupted), and this
6 > is my biggest concern with Gentoo at the momoent, there is no way (apart
7 > from the snapshots Christian mentioned) to ensure that 2 instalations on
8 > the same "release" will be the same. In an office environment where I'm
9 > mainitaining 50+ machines this is a major concern for me. I know that
10 > with my Mandrake or RedHat install disks all machines are running the
11 > same versions of applications, but with Gentoo this is not true unless
12 > all machines are installed and updated at the same time.
13 >
14 > Sometimes Gentoo is just a little too bleeding-edge
15
16 In such a case you might want to run your own cvs ( or subversion) tree of
17 "sanctioned ebuilds", and instead of emerge sync run cvs update on the
18 slaves. You then can copy only interesting ebuilds to the cvs tree, and only
19 wanted changes. Of course this is more work, but if it should not be too hard
20 to create a "custom tree" based on the ebuilds that are currently installed.
21 You could put that tree, with the required distfiles on a custom gentoo
22 bootcd, which you could use to install all clients.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Researcher