From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:47:29
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > Not actually an eye-catching.
4
5 Ummm, D, as opposed to U... Yeah, that catches my eye. I am weird like
6 that though.
9 > To be fair, do *you* actually look through *all* the emerge
10 > output if there's any "D" flag, without the risk of overlooking
11 > it someday ?
12
13 Yes, honestly, I DO look at it - I wouldn't be much of a system
14 administrator if I didn't. I *always* *always* run emerge -uDpv world
15 when I do an update world - and not only that - but I *always* *always*
16 run emerge -av packagename/world - I never ever blindly run an emerge -
17 even if it is the same one I just ran a -p on. I dunno, guess I am just
18 careful like that. Obviously, not everyone wants to be vigilant - but
19 if you aren't - then you don't get to whine about it when it breaks.....
20 well actually I guess you do...
23 > Why can't emerge shout out some more verbose text ? Something
24 > really eye-catching ?
27 Well, why not look into color.map - and as has been mentioned in this or
28 other flags, read the finely written documentation - in fact, I know of
29 other distros who use OUR documentation when pointing out how to do
30 things to others on THEIR distros. Documentation isn't exactly written
31 because the doc writers were bored. It was written so things aren't
32 constantly repeated as have been over and over and over...infinity.
33 Seriously, stop trying to be lazy and be a responsible system admin.
34
35 > cu
36
37 No, cu!