From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we need games group and all that game prefixes?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:54:38
On 21 May 2012 04:26, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
> Hello, > > In today's MythBusters™: do we actually need the whole ugly-awful > mangling games.eclass does for games? By that I mean: > - installing games in random pre-/postfixes rather than standard FHS-y >  locations, > - changing ownership and permissions of all the files. > > Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our > games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office > group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like. > > Random obscurity only makes things harder. And proves no point unless > we're going to ensure that all web browsers, ssh clients and other > applications in danger of being used to play games. And while we're at > it, why don't we just take the computer away and work on paper sheets? > Oh wait, someone could play tic-tac-toe on it... > > So, my proposition is: finally drop that. Install games in regular > prefixes, like all other apps. Don't pollute systems with unnecessary > security perimeters which don't provide any real benefit. > > Any comments? >
It wouldn't be so bad if it was done once, in one module, perhaps "games-env" or similar and all games depended on that, instead of the current scenario, where each and every games package does magic to set up the right env bits. ( including creating profiles/groups if they don't already exist, and stuffing paths in $PATH for all users even if they're not in the games group, which causes bugs with git ... ) -- Kent perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"