From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] BUILDROOT concept (was Re: [gentoo-dev] ROOT variable)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:14:03
1 %% david@×××××××××.com writes:
2
3 d> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your goals.... but in reviewing your old
4 d> emails. I see a few basic requirements here(i'm paraphrasing your
5 d> emails):
6
7 d> 1) produce and store gentoo system images(GSI's from now on ) on an
8 d> already functioning system. Each with it's own unique portage
9 d> tree separate from all others.
10
11 d> 2) Each GSI has it's own self contained compilers, linkers, libc,
12 d> system tools, etc.
13
14 Close... actually most of my images don't have any compilers or linkers.
15 I create one image that has all the "cross" stuff in it, then build
16 other images from that. The nice thing about that one image is I can
17 use "emerge inject" to "fake out" all the applications that I don't care
18 about (who cares what version of "ls" or "mkdir" you use?) without
19 having to waste time building and installing them.
20
21 But, I can use a stage1 image where these things are already built.
22
23 The rest is correct.
24
25 d> 3) Have the ability to specify a non-native architecture(CPU arch,
26 d> libc, etc) for a GSI(non-native being that the 'functioning system'
27 d> cannot run the binaries for the GSI natively)
28
29 d> 4) Have the ability to arbitarily install or update packages on the
30 d> GSI's.
31
32 It's not clear to me from the Catalyst Reference Manual how one manages
33 packages in a GSI... I guess you'd have to chroot back into the "host"
34 GSI, set your ROOT to the non-native GSI, and run your ebuild and emerge
35 commands from there?
36
37 Also something would need to be done about sharing the distfiles
38 directory: it would be a drag to have to have a separate one for each
39 "host" GSI.
40
41 Catalyst seems directed at creating "end user" product, like CDs, etc.
42 I need to be sure that we have something that is just as easy to use
43 during normal development of new packages, etc. as the "normal" Gentoo
44 command set, insofar as that's possible.
45
46 d> 5) Have the ability to create binary packages during the package
47 d> compilation in the GSI's.
48
49 d> And in another email you mentioned you do not like chroot solutions
50 d> because they confuse you.
51
52 Heh. It's not me I'm worried about: I've been dealing with building and
53 deploying cross-compilers and cross-compiled environments for 15+
54 years... you think building GCC as a cross-compiler is tricky now, you
55 should have tried it back in the GCC 1.x days :).
56
57 But, I'm not going to be the one making all these images: they need to
58 be buildable and customizable by someone without that experience.
59 Obviously I'm willing to script an environment to make that
60 straightforward, if possible.
61
62 And, I'll need to deal with the requirement for root privileges to
63 invoke the chroot.
64
65 I'll take a look at the configuration you suggest for Catalyst; thanks
66 for the info!
70 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
71 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
73 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
76 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list