From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:17:20
1 On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:02:46 +0100
2 "Stuart Herbert" <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > 1) Leave the older versions in the tree, even though they are
5 > insecure and possibly/probably no longer supported by package
6 > maintainers. This keeps minority arches happy at the expense of the
7 > larger group of package maintainers.
8
9 How exactly does this affect package maintainers, apart from the
10 cosmetic problems of having an old ebuild lying around? As far as I can
11 see, it doesn't affect the maintenance burden, since if the arch still
12 using the old version needs a fix present in the newer versions they
13 can just keyword one of those, and if the fix isn't present it doesn't
14 much matter which ebuild(s) get it applied.
15
16 The original request not to remove an arch's latest stable ebuild seems
17 reasonable enough to me -- we're not asking package maintainers to
18 support or update things that they wouldn't otherwise, merely not to be
19 so hasty about removing them from the tree since they might still be of
20 use to someone.
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list