From: Zoltan Puskas <zoltan@×××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:43:25
1 I've been using both repoman _and_ pkgcheck becasue I was not sure which
2 one covers all the checks I need to make. In fact [Pull Requests
3 wiki](https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GitHub/Pull_requests) has a
4 big red warning box with the following message, and I quote:
5
6 "CI is not an excuse not to run repoman full, at least for the packages
7 being committed."
8
9 [Package maintainer's responsibilities
10 wiki](https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_maintainer%27s_responsibilities)
11 says "When committing changes, repoman commit **or** pkgdev commit (from the
12 dev-util/pkgdev package) can be used.", emphasis mine.
13
14 I use documentation from time to time to remind myself of details, as I
15 want to avoid bugging people on IRC or the mailing list, and to provide
16 up to date and clean PRs. Per said documentation repoman is (was?)
17 a cornerstone of the workflow, as mentioned by others too. Developers
18 should not be frowned upon for using Repoman, as they were doing
19 exactly what was asked of them.
20
21 Additionally based on the existing documentation it was not evident
22 that, pkgcheck covers all checks done by repoman and more, or that it's
23 faster, or that it has advanced features, like scanning only commits since
24 HEAD/origin (I myself was only ever using it in the ebuild's directory,
25 because Repoman is slow when running over more than one ebuild). I've
26 had to read most of this thread to obtain all these details and to learn
27 about the proper replacements for all the steps in my workflow.
28
29 Today I've unmerged repoman and I've used only pkgdev, pkgcheck, and git
30 to create a new PR to force myself off Repoman. So far I think the
31 experience was superior to the Repoman workflow. I like that I can run
32 pkgcheck at the end before the push only on the commits and I don't have
33 to worry about Repoman trying to scan the entire tree. I think `pkgdev
34 commit` is quite sufficient, not sure why would one need to use
35 pkgcommit.
36
37 I found that mgorny's dev scripts package has a lot of irrelevant stuff
38 I don't need on my system (maybe not even applicable to anyone outside
39 of mgorny), I'd prefer we don't make it part of the mandated workflow as
40 is. Maybe if the generally useful scripts are separated out to some
41 gentoo devtoolkit package or similar, then it's okay.
42
43 Summa summarum, I think deprecating repoman is the right direction,
44 but documentation needs to be updated comprehensively before it's done.
45
46 Just a proxy maintainer's 2¢.
47
48 Zoltan
49
50 P.S.: I'm with Joshua about the snarkiness of the tooling, I liked that
51 a lot and it's a bit sad that the new tools are a bit sterile.
52