From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's problems
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:55:24
1 Jakob Buchgraber wrote:
2 > So I just think something has to be changed e.g. making paludis an
3 > official gentoo project and mentioning it in the docs, but keep portage
4 > as the default pm.
5 > If portage can't get improved, then people have to get informed that
6 > there is a better alternative, because I know a lot of Gentoo users
7 > having never heard about paludis and I also didn't know that it even
8 > exists until a month ago.
9 >
10 You (and others) should also be made aware of pkgcore then as it might turn
11 out from these discussions that ciaran's future contributions will not be
12 allowed in gentoo (unless i'm missing something.) In which case, I have no
13 doubt he'll fork, although I hope it doesn't come to that. (And I still
14 believe that situation can be avoided, with work. It shouldn't be happening
15 on here tho.)
16
17 I have no personal experience of using either. It would be insulting of me
18 to pretend that i have no personal feelings as to which dev team i prefer
19 tho, although i continue to have sympathy for ciaran's feelings here. I
20 think he has been ill-treated in the past, but that's where it should stay.
21
22 http://www.pkgcore.org/ if you want to see the other other package manager,
23 written by one of the (core?) portage devs. Apparently it's where a
24 significant percentage of the improvements to portage have started out.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list