From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 03:28:50
On Sunday, July 04, 2010 21:03:41 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 18:15 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote: > > which is trivial to fix and anyone with commit privs could have done. it > > certainly doesnt warrant a paniced "the sky is falling" message. > > I think this is a great occasion to dump our stupid custom crap and > switch to SystemD, PolicyKit, NetworkManager, etc. Anyone with half a > brain already dropped our stuff. And the lack of use of modern tools is > the reason I don't use Gentoo on my work computer anymore.
no one ever really carried Gentoo init.d scripts except for projects that were doing their development in Gentoo, so there really is no change here. as for the other init packages, you're certainly free to use whatever you want on your system. as for the rest, openrc doesnt conflict with PolicyKit or NetworkManager or anything else, nor does it prevent you from using those services at all. so statements carrying such implications are mere FUD. -mike