From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2008 Google Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:40:50
1 On 1/31/08, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 29-01-2008 12:24:56 -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > > To give a short answer, its a combination of projects suggested by
4 > > > developer and projects submitted by the students. They get reviewed by
5 > > > the User Rel/SOC Staff and put into an order of projects to submit to
6 > > > Google. They then decide which ones they approve of to fund for the
7 > > > students to work on.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Anyone can contribute 'ideas'. 'Ideas' are not proposals and
11 > > proposals are what (in the past) we have had to rank and fund. So if
12 > > your 'idea' doesn't get a competant proposal written by a student it
13 > > is not going to get funded, end of story.
14 >
15 > Is there a place were devs can just throw in 'ideas'? I have a couple
16 > in mind, so it would be great if there was a place where interested
17 > "students" can go to see all ideas and pick one they like.
18
19 I would prefer students come up with their own ideas ;)
20
21 GSoc has not started and we have not been picked as an organization.
22 I expect we will be but I an hesistant to act without being selected.
23 That being said, feel free to file a bug and if/when we are selected I
24 will update the webpage accordingly for SoC 2008.
25
26 You can attach ideas to the bug until the webpage is up; does that
27 seem good enough?
28
29 -Alec
33 > --