From: Mario Fetka <mario.fetka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Plethora of Patches
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:16:34
1 Am Donnerstag, 14. August 2008 17:24:41 schrieb Santiago M. Mola:
2 > On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Patches in the metadata.xml should have some sort of status tracking for
4 > > each patch, repoman should flag any that don't, and warn on any that have
5 > > not been submitted upstream unless the status is signed off on by a herd
6 > > leader (such as Gentoo specific patches). This would provide visual
7 > > feedback for users and developers with regard to a pretty important
8 > > metric on how successful Gentoo is at getting patches pushed back to
9 > > developers.
10 >
11 > It was proposed recently to add some standarized headers to all new
12 > patches for maintenance purposes. Something like:
13 >
14 > Source: patch by John Foo, backported from upstream, whatever.
15 > Upstream: In revision 245, rejected, foo.
16 > Reason: Build system sucks
17 >
18 > I think that's all we need in order to know how were things when the
19 > patch was added and if it needs to be pushed/tracked upstream, removed
20 > in the next version of the package, etc.
21 >
22 > Some of us already put these kind of headers, or at least an URL to
23 > upstream bug or a meaningful source of info about the patch.
24 >
25 > However, tracking the status of every patch since its inclusion in
26 > portage until it's removed would be a huge work overhead... and I
27 > doubt it's worthy.
28
29 i am using the lfs tool to create my patches:
30 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/MAINTAINER/lfspatch
31
32 it creates patches with patch version number:
33 irtrans-irserver-5.11.08-arm_remotes-1.patch
36 and the header it creates looks like this:
37 Submitted By: Mario Fetka (mario-fetka at gmx dot at)
38 Date: 2008-07-18
39 Initial Package Version: 5.11.08
40 Origin: me
41 Upstream Status: unknown
44 i think some rules for patches would be a good thing.
45 i would also suggest naming rules for the patches
46
47 Mario