From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: www-client/chromium and asian fonts, help needed
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 01:23:13
1 Il giorno mar, 05/04/2011 alle 17.45 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
2 scritto:
3 > First, I'm just wondering whether making the browser RDEPEND on some
4 > fonts would be a correct solution. Maybe, similarly to the icon
5 > themes,
6 > we should just suggest some fonts in pkg_postinst.
7
8 As Ulrich said, Chromium should not depend on the fonts at all. They use
9 different methods of rendering fonts, but both do their work with
10 finding the right font to use if one is installed. In general, one
11 should be expected to have the right fonts installed for the right
12 language to display.
13
14 Also, I think singling out CJK here might be a bit inappropriate; while
15 they are probably the most commonly known languages using non-latin
16 scripts, they are definitely not the sole ones. Just take a look at the
17 Wikipedia homepage[1] to see how many non-latin languages are there (and
18 keep in mind that it's a subset of the world's languages).
19
20 For what it's worth, in my screenshot there are four languages missing
21 glyphs entirely, and a few having glitches, all of this with this
22 selection of fonts:
23
24 media-fonts/aquafont-2.7-r4
25 media-fonts/aquapfont-2.6-r2
26 media-fonts/arphicfonts-0.2.20080216.1
27 media-fonts/corefonts-1-r5
28 media-fonts/dejavu-2.33
29 media-fonts/droid-113-r1
30 media-fonts/encodings-1.0.4
31 media-fonts/font-util-1.2.0
32 media-fonts/freefont-ttf-20100919
33 media-fonts/fs-fonts-0.1_alpha3
34 media-fonts/ipamonafont-1.0.8
35 media-fonts/ja-ipafonts-003.02-r1
36 media-fonts/lohit-fonts-2.4.2
37 media-fonts/mikachan-font-otf-9.1-r1
38 media-fonts/monafont-2.90-r2
39 media-fonts/mplus-outline-fonts-0_pre037
40 media-fonts/sazanami-20040629
41 media-fonts/thaifonts-scalable-0.4.13
42 media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9
43
44 [Yes I have a personal preference to CJ fonts myself..]
45
46 [1] http://www.flameeyes.eu/tmp/wikipedia.png
49 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
50 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/