From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 05:58:16
1 On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 1:33 AM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Richard Yao schrieb:
5 >
6 > >> To make code behave differently it needs substantial amount of code
7 > >> to provide you an example. You need to him O2<->O3 behaviour delta
8 > >> after all. But I will try (for a different warning, it should not matter
9 > >> much).
10 > > Thanks. I had been incorrect about -O3 giving not us some additional information for warnings. My apologies for the confusion.
11 > >>
12 > >> Below is a reduced example of a larger C++ program.
13 > >> Many thanks to Ulya for providing recent example!
14 >
15 > Not that it matters now, but there are examples of packages building at -O2
16 > but failing to build at -O3 optimization levels, due to -Werror.
17 >
18 > One is dev-libs/libcss: https://bugs.gentoo.org/626752
21 It is matter, and shows that for selected packages in which upstream
22 has strict policy of no warning, each warning should be investigated
23 as it may be a true issue. The tool compiler provide to find these
24 edge condition should not be ignored nor overridden. The fact that a
25 package "builds" does not mean it is free of bugs.
26
27 Regards,
28 Alon