From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:06:09
1 On Wednesday 28 September 2005 15:23, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > | On Wednesday 28 September 2005 13:19, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > | IUSE="baz bop"
5 > | iuse_expand VIDEO_CARDS foo bar
6 >
7 > This has the ring of hack to me, if it's something to be used in ebuilds.
8
9 USE_EXPAND was a hack to begin with. It's broken by design. If you don't like
10 hacks, don't use USE_EXPAND at all.
11
12 Brian just noted another reason for using IUSE instead of IUSE_EXPAND; using
13 IUSE_EXPAND would mean the entire cache would be invalidated any time that
14 USE_EXPAND changes.
15
16 > |>In addition, it saves IUSE from having super-long flags:
17 > |>
18 > |>IUSE="video_cards_foo video_cards_bar video_cards_baz ... " -- picture
19 > |>that repeated 10 times. It's just plain ugly and overly long.
20 > |
21 > | It doesn't save anything because internally it needs to be done that way
22 > | regardless. The only difference between the two patches is that one has
23 > | IUSE="..." and the other has IUSE_EXPAND="...".
24 >
25 > Right on, but portage is a lot more internal than ebuilds.
26
27 iuse_expand as implemented above is just as internal as IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS
28 (which is an undocumented variable mind you).
29
30 > |>Most importantly IMHO, it suggests that users should set
31 > |>USE="video_cards_foo" instead of VIDEO_CARDS="foo".
32 > |
33 > | Users don't see it either way, so I can't see how it suggests anything.
34 >
35 > Let me narrow that to users who look at ebuilds to figure out wtf is
36 > going on with USE_EXPAND because they have no idea how to use it.
37
38 Which is exactly what this thread is looking to stop users from needing to do.
41 Jason Stubbs
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list