From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: redlizard@×××××××××.nl
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Upgrade Guide and EAPI
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:00:44
1 >>>>> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013, heroxbd wrote:
2
3 > I am revisiting this topic based on previous discussions[1,2,3].
4
5 > There seems to be a constant need for toolchain with a new EAPI. The
6 > only block is "how can we upgrade from an ancient system?", "don't
7 > bump or the upgrade path will be break". Let's figure out a solid
8 > upgrade path consciously, with a test farm of ancient systems, and
9 > then bump the EAPI of toolchain.
10
11 The upgrade path is not at all what is blocking this. In its 20130409
12 meeting, the council has (unanimously) decided: "EAPIs 0 to 2 are no
13 longer required for the upgrade path of users' systems."
14
15 The reason why toolchain packages are still at EAPI 0 was explained in
16 this posting:
17 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2369/focus=2377
18
19 AFAICS, changing that is entirely the task of the toolchain team.
20
21 Ulrich