From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc and java problem
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:33:00
1 On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:52:45AM -0000, Naresh Donti wrote:
2 > When glic is compiled with --enable-kernels=2.4.0, it enables a feature
3 > called floating stacks to improve performance. Frankly I do not know what
4 > floating stacks are, and would not really have cared, but for the fact that
5 > IBM's jdk did not work on rc5 because it makes some wrong assumptions about
6 > something related to the floating stacks. Sun's jdk1.3.1 is supposed to have
7 > fixed this, but I really want to use IBM's JDK. I think this will be fixed
8 > in the next few releases of the JDK, but in the mean time this does not
9 > allow me to use gentoo as my primary desktop.
10
11 I just upgraded my system to use a new glibc without --enable-kernels=2.4.0 and
12 Sun's JDK is now working for me instead of segfaulting. I have this glibc in
13 a .tbz2 package; it is compiled for the i686 architecture. If you have a P6 core,
14 let me know and I'll send it to you.
15
16 I think we should include this kernel with 1.0_rc6, since Java compatibility is
17 important.
18
19 Best Regards,
22 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>