From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:23:42
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> said:
3
4 >> My expectation is that `grep "flag" use.local.desc` will give me a list of
5 >> packages using that flag (or having it in the description), one per line.
6 >> Putting paragraphs in there doesn't seem right.
7
8 > One could argue that you can't do that currently for DEPEND strings and
9 > such, so that seems like a possibly weak argument to me. Just because
10 > you can do something right now doesn't mean it was meant to be that way,
11 > or shouldn't be changed to make things better :)
12 >
13 > Either way, I would prefer (and I'm sure others will as well since it
14 > will cut down on confusion) if we pick either use.local.desc or to move
15 > them into metadata.xml. Having it possibly be in both places just seems
16 > silly.
17
18 If we have to choose between the two, then metadata.xml gets my vote (yeah i'm
19 contradicting myself here ;)). I think the benefits of being able to write long
20 flag descriptions outweigh the benefits of having them all in one place.
21
22 I'd like it if we had a util that displayed the descriptions from metadata
23 before (if) we switch over though.
27 fonts, by design, by neglect
28 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
29 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662