From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 14:36:12
1 On Mon, 2023-01-02 at 12:48 +0000, m1027 wrote:
2 > Hi and happy new year.
3 >
4 > When we create apps on Gentoo they become easily incompatible for
5 > older Gentoo systems in production where unattended remote world
6 > updates are risky. This is due to new glibc, openssl-3 etc.
9 Just update them. YOLO.
10
11 Seriously though, most of us run Gentoo in some sort of production
12 setting. Updating often is your best bet as it keeps the list of
13 suspects short when things do break.
14
15 OTOH I'm only about 15km from our servers when I set them on fire, so
16 keep that in mind if yours are on another continent. If updating
17 frequently is truly out of the question, a rolling release probably
18 isn't the best deployment target for you.