From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Improve policy of stabilizations
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 22:52:53
1 Le 06/11/2009 15:45, Fabian Groffen a écrit :
2 > Sounds like we could benefit from the "noarch" approach known in the RPM
3 > world, such that all these packages can also be immediately keyworded
4 > and stabilised for all arches. Would greatly simplify things for a
5 > great deal of packages, maybe?
6
7 While this is probably a good idea in theory, I can't help but think it
8 won't really help us.
9
10 For example, in other distros, X11 protocols headers (x11-proto/*) are
11 marked as "noarch" [1]. With the recent mess that happened in X
12 libs/protos, "noarch" is something we'll never be able to use for those
13 packages because the stabilization of "noarch" and "arch" packages need
14 to happen all at the same time. Other distros don't have different
15 package versions across arches. We do...
16
17 So as far as I'm concerned, "noarch" will be of very limited use to us,
18 maybe a few X cursor themes, that's about it. It's not the kind of
19 packages that get a frequent releases anyway.
20
21 I just don't see how "noarch" will help the portage tree.
22
23 However, I would like to see the council get in touch with "problematic"
24 arch teams *more* *often* to see what their status is, and maybe be more
25 proactive when it comes to putting an arch to the dev status.
26
27 Cheers,
28
29 Rémi