From: "Hallgrimur H. Gunnarsson" <hhg@××××.is>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] comments on qmail 1.03-r12 ebuild
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:40:32
1 Hello all!
2
3 I just filed my first bugs and I wanted to get
4 the opinion of my fellow users. Since some of
5 my comments involve more things than qmail I
6 thought I'd follow it up by also posting it
7 here in my first e-mail to this list.
8
9 So, greetings to you all from sunny Iceland ! :-)
10
11 Here are my comments for the latest qmail test ebuild
12 (1.03-r12), most of it applies to earlier versions as well.
13
14 - [#28256] On creating a maildir and .qmail in ~root
15
16 [CUT]
17
18 # make sure root can get some mail
19 [ ! -d /root/.maildir ] && ${MAILDIRMAKE} /root/.maildir
20 [ ! -e /root/.qmail ] && cp ${FILESDIR}/${PV}-${PR}/dot_qmail
21 /root/.qmail
22 [ -e /root/.qmail ] && chmod 644 /root/.qmail
23
24 [/CUT]
25
26 Earlier in the ebuild an alias is set up for root,
27 so this is unnecessary. Besides, even if there wouldn't
28 be an alias, the mail would bounce since mail is
29 never delivered to the root user in qmail.
30
31 - [#28257] On copying dot-qmail to /etc/skel/.qmail
32
33 This is redundant. The same file (files/dot-qmail)
34 is used for defaultdelivery, which is how it should
35 be done.
36
37 - [#28258] On using dot-forward in defaultdelivery
38
39 I think dot-forward should not be default in
40 the defaultdelivery. It's okay to have the package
41 installed, so users can add it themselves if they
42 need it, but most users dont need dot-forward,
43 so it's an extra invocation per message in the
44 delivery pipeline.
45
46 - [#28260] On using .maildir instead of Maildir
47
48 I know this has been brought up before (bug #27154)
49 and Robin Johnson said he strongly believed that
50 .maildir was better than Maildir because:
51
52 [QUOTE from #27154]
53
54 because i've seen lots of [l]users select everything
55 visible in their home directory, and delete. 'rm -rf *'
56 and it's gone. at least with .maildir, it is protected.
57
58 Furthermore, nothing in any of the maildir standards
59 specificied the actual name of the directory.
60
61 [/QUOTE]
62
63 I dont think this is such a good reason. Yes,
64 there's nothing in the maildir standards
65 about the name, but that doesn't mean you have
66 to find a new one. Alot of programs assume
67 the name to be Maildir, and AFAIK gentoo is the
68 only distribution that uses .maildir, so
69 for one it's a compatability issue. Furthermore,
70 I think it's up to the system administrator whether
71 he wants to dumb down the system, I for one
72 would prefer to have Maildir as the default.
73
74 - [#28259] Honor mbox/maildir USE flags
75
76 qmail doesn't honor the mbox/maildir USE flags.
77 The postfix ebuild does this, so I think it'd be
78 the right thing to do in qmail too.
79
80 The mbox/maildir flags aren't mutually exclusive,
81 and since most programs support to have both simultaneously
82 the question becomes which one takes precedence
83 if both are enabled. In the original qmail package
84 Mailbox delivery is the default.
85
86 In addition, which one (mbox/maildir) is used if
87 neither is specified (?), shouldn't one of them
88 be in make.defaults, or should it be up to
89 the package to decide?
90
91 I can think of one reason why qmail doesnt honor
92 the USE flags. Mbox seems to imply delivery to
93 /var/mail/$USER in gentoo, which is not possible
94 to do in defaultdelivery. I think delivery to
95 ~/Mailbox is the right thing to do. Most programs
96 support it and/or use MAIL to find the mailbox.
97 Administrators can also create symbolic links
98 in /var/mail for compatability if they really need
99 it.
100
101 That's all for now! Thanks for reading and I welcome all comments!
102
103 -- hhg
106 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list