From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 19:29:16
1 On 02/03/2017 09:51 AM, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The fact that all permission and ownership information is shared is
5 >> precisely the problem. When you change ownership of the hardlink (which
6 >> you'll never know is a hardlink), you change ownership of /etc/shadow.
7 >
8 > Why should this be a problem except for a race between reading
9 > and changing the ownership?
10 > Admittedly, by using "find ... -exec ... +" the time for an exploit
11 > of the race is even increased when a "standard" chown command is used.
12 >
13 > However, it is no rocket science to write a race-free chown command
14 > in C: Just open the file and use stat() and fchown() to be sure to
15 > change only files from the "correct" user.
16 >
17 > Since this works on the filehandle and not on the filename, I think
18 > that there is no possibility for an exploit when this is used in the
19 > above find loop.
20
21 Not a bad idea... we chould ship that safe-chown utility, and then tell
22 users how to use it to fix their UIDs. The draft that I wrote up was for
23 the "fixed UID with random fallback" model, but said utility could still
24 be useful for people who want to change their running systems to use the
25 same UIDs that would have been chosen by default.