From: Hank Leininger <hlein@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 19:21:39
1 > On 11-03-2022 13:19:34 -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > > I've filed a PR against devmanual.git to remove references to repoman
3 > > and replace them with references to pkgdev where appropriate.
4
5 On 2022-03-12, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 >
7 > Just wondering, is there a "migration guide" or something? I've never
8 > used pkg* since joining in 2005. I can derive some things from the
9 > first look at the below commit, but an "expert opinion" to just map the
10 > standard things from repoman to appropriate commands would be nice.
11
12 Yes, please this, and not just in devmanual, but also:
13
14 https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0066.html
15 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
16 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_GitHub
17
18 All three of those mention repoman some or a lot, and pkgcheck/pkgdev
19 little or none.
20
21 I'm not a dev, just a forgetful proxy maintainer. When I went to learn
22 the right workflow to submit better-quality PRs on GitHub instead of
23 just attaching patches to b.g.o. bugs some years back, I looked at
24 devmanual but the git workflow specific content seemed to be targeted
25 only at people with access to git.gentoo.org, so I looked elsewhere.
26
27 Those Wiki pages talked specifically about my use case. I think they
28 only mentioned repoman back then. Even now they are 10x more specific
29 and detailed about how to use repoman in your workflow, vs how to use
30 pkgcheck.
31
32 And indeed, the devmanual still doesn't line up 1:1 with the apparently
33 soon-to-be-obsolete content in the wikis. For example, wikis say to use
34 "repoman -dx full"; devmanual only talks about "repoman full" and
35 replacing that with "pkgcheck scan --commits". What happened to
36 --include-dev and --xmlparse? Are they not needed/implied in the
37 pkgcheck case? (From its manpage, I think maybe the default behavior is
38 equivalent to enabling both of those, but...?)
39
40 This is why you can't trust ignorant fools like me to figure it out for
41 ourselves :-P
42
43 Thanks,
47 Hank Leininger <hlein@×××××××××.com>
48 9606 3BF9 B593 4CBC E31A A384 6200 F6E3 781E 3DD7