From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:24:30
1 On 08/15/2015 11:56 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:02:19 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>>>> OK, if manifests are that important, why not generate full manifest
4 >>>>> during repoman commit? If we do not tamper with $Id$, the only file
5 >>>>> outside of this manifest will be ChangeLog generated during rsync
6 >>>>> propagation. Then we have following options:
7 >>>>> - do not sing ChangeLog: even if it will be tampered, little harm
8 >>>>> can be done, since it doesn't affect live system or build process;
9 >>>>> - sign ChangeLog with releng key;
10 >>>>> - sign developer-signed manifest + ChangeLog with releng key. Thus
11 >>>>> we'll have double signature for most important files.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> How about we switch back to CVS if we're going to kill git anyway? It'd
14 >>>> at least save our time wasted by these pointless discussions.
15 >>>
16 >>> I don't understand your point. Please explain.
17 >>>
18 >>> I see nobody here talking about killing git. I see people concerned
19 >>> that git is not cryptographically secure enough, thus looking for
20 >>> gpg-signed manifests or other solutions.
21 >>
22 >> I see you talking about introducing whole new bucket of merge
23 >> conflicts.
24 >
25 > Where? The only case where such conflict may occur is when several
26 > developers are working on the same package at the same time. This
27 > is quite rare occasion. And even with current thin-manifest
28 > workflow there may be conflict if they touch the same files.
31 -1
32
33 No one has proven that git is cryptographically insecure. Everyone
34 claiming that probably refers to
35 https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/10/when_will_we_se.html and
36 the fact that we don't sign blob objects.
37
38 While that is something git upstream has to fix, all known SHA1
39 "attacks" are NOT "preimage attacks". So the whole point is utterly and
40 mathematically moot for us in practice. This is wasting our time.