From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 05:34:47
1 Richard Yao posted on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 00:15:58 -0400 as excerpted:
4 >> On Apr 4, 2016, at 9:19 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> All,
7 >>
8 >> I thought that since the usr merge is coming up again, and since I lost
9 >> track of the message where it was brought up, I would open a new thread
10 >> to discuss it.
11 >>
12 >> When it came up before, some were saying that the /usr merge violates
13 >> the fhs. I don't remember the specifics of what the claim was at the
14 >> time, (I'm sure someone will point it out if it is still a concern).
15 >
16 > Here are the violations:
17 >
18 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/
19 fhs-3.0.html#binEssentialUserCommandBinaries
20 >
21 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/
22 fhs-3.0.html#sbinSystemBinaries
23 >
24 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/
25 fhs-3.0.html#libEssentialSharedLibrariesAndKern
26
27 (Those links are wrapped and I'm not bothering to jump thru the hoops to
28 unwrap them, since readers can either unwrap them manually or refer to
29 the parent post I'm quoting for the unwrapped versions.)
30
31 If those are the "violations", then putting everything in /usr and making
32 the /bin and /sbin locations symlinks isn't going to be a problem, since
33 /bin and /sbin are specifically allowed to contain symlinks to the
34 executables, instead of the executables themselves, and if the dirs
35 themselves are symlinks to the locations in /usr with the files, that
36 fulfills that requirement.
37
38 And the requirement for /lib is rather vague, saying only that it
39 contains the libs linked by the executables in /bin and /sbin. So once /
40 bin and /sbin are symlinks to the dirs with the executables, /lib (or the
41 arch-specific alternative libdirs) can be a symlink as well.
42
43 Tho I must say doing the reverse, making either /usr itself or /usr/bin
44 and /usr/sbin symlinks to the root dirs, as I did here, actually makes
45 more sense and bends the rules less.
46
47 Basically, what the FHS says, at least in the 3.0 version you linked, is
48 that the executables must be reachable via whatever specific path, but
49 using symlinks to do it is fine.
50
51 Which means the merge is allowed, as long as symlinks allow the
52 executables to be reached by their specifically defined paths. And I'm
53 not aware of anyone seriously proposing that said symlinks be omitted,
54 so...
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman