From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual for zig
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 05:44:03
1 On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 22:48 +0000, Eric Joldasov wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I'd like to introduce "zig" virtual package that will be satisfied by "dev-lang/zig-bin" or "dev-lang/zig" package [1]. The main reason is that compilation of "dev-lang/zig" requires a lot of RAM [2] (10 GB, which makes it impossible to build on x86 arch) and depends on LLVM, which can be a big problem for people who just want to upgrade "sys-fs/ncdu" (the only reverse dependency) or use this programming language on systems with small amount of RAM.
5 >
6 > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26325
7 > [2] https://github.com/ziglang/zig/wiki/Troubleshooting-Build-Issues#high-memory-requirements
8 > [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/823086
11 In general that's a valid use of virtual and I don't exactly mind having
12 it added but if it's just one package, perhaps it'd be better to start
13 with a simple || dep and see how things develop?
16 Best regards,
17 Michał Górny