From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:05:03
1 > Yes, thanks, I'll be using that now. However, I still think it's more
2 > secure to do everything as a regular user (including running all the
3 > portage code!) and only elevating to root permissions for actual
4 > merges. Otherwise you spend more time running things as root, even if
5 > you drop for the builds, and it's possible for a bug to prevent the
6 > privileges from being dropped. Anyway, just wanted to make that
7 > point, obviously it's up to you guys to decide.
10 Really though, it only becomes insecure if the source code can't be
11 trusted. This has become a bit more complicated/worrisome lately since
12 it has been demonstrated that malicious source tarballs with the same
13 md5sum as as the originals could be used to attack a gentoo install. I
14 think steps are being taken to remove this possibility from affecting
15 portage, however.
16
17 Steve
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list