From: David Sankel <sankeld@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:19:40
1 Hello gentoo developers,
2
3 I would like to say great job to all of you. Gentoo is an exceptional
4 distribution. I have been using it for about 7 months now. You all
5 should be very proud of yourselves for creating a very solid software
6 product.
7
8 I am an independent contractor with several years experience in user
9 interaction with software systems. I came up with a few suggestions for
10 the gentoo system. It is my hope that you will find them interesting or
11 informative.
12
13 1) etc-update changes for a more automated system update
14
15 etc-update allows you to automatically update (noted) etc files that one
16 never changed from their last emerge. This could save a lot of
17 maintenance time if it was put in a cron job to routinely do that after
18 an "emerge sync;emerge -u world"
19 The user then wouldn't have to look at all of the etc files to see
20 if they were changed after every "emerge sync; emerge-u world".
21
22 2) make.conf updates to be more automated
23
24 Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file changes
25 quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE" and "CFLAGS"
26 components, having an update that is automatic is plausible. This feature
27 is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the system verses
28 end-user maintenance time.
29
30 3) emerge -u world "NOTICE:" output changes.
31
32 When doing an "emerge -u world" several "NOTICE:"'s fly by on the screen.
33 For many users, they go unread although they contain important information
34 in a lot of cases. If these "NOTICE:"'s are cached and output at the end
35 of an "emerge -u world", their readership would have a dramatic increase.
36 This would allow interested gentoo users to be more informed of their
37 system.
38
39 4) emerge -u world progress bar option
40
41 Most users probably care less about the compilation stages of their update
42 in comparison to the percentage of completion. A progress bar in this
43 area would be a nice aesthetic and informative addition for most users.
44 In order for this to happen, the output of the "emerge -u world" command
45 would probably have to be standardized with some flags to mark the
46 beginning and end of a compile.
47
48 5) A simple graphical front end to maintenance commands such as "emerge
49 sync", "emerge -u world", and "etc-update".
50
51 It would be a nice feature if users didn't have to commit these commands
52 to memory for regular maintenance. The maintenance menu might have an
53 icon on all of the default desktops. If this type of program was
54 implemented, it could be prominently displayed and made known for all new
55 users. Perhaps the install documentation could use this tool as much as
56 possible.
57
58 6) A streamlined GUI install.
59
60 I'm sure this one has been brought up before. I consider this the "1.0"
61 maker of the gentoo distribution. In such an installer, I suggest that
62 the CFLAGS should not be modified by default. It has been shown in
63 several places that optimizing these does not give a significant enough
64 performance increase. It should stay, of course, as an option though.
65
66 7) Emerge -S and Emerge -s speed improvements.
67
68 I don't know why these commands perform as slow as they do. My intuition
69 says that they could be an order of magnitude faster. Perhaps a
70 reimplementation in C/C++ or a data format change could help.
71
72 Thanks for reading my comments and taking them into consideration. Again,
73 I want to thank you, the gentoo developers, for doing such a great job on
74 the gentoo system. I welcome any thoughts or comments on my suggestions
75 in this newsgroup or otherwise.
76
77 Sincerely,
78