From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] minor problems with _rc6
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 18:00:34
1 Excellent distro. Here are a few minor problems.
2
3 1) Is there any way to avoid having messages from initialization bleed
4 through to the console after boot? When I boot, the first login
5 prompt is overlaid by "eth0: Setting half duplex ..." which is
6 apparently a late message from starting eth0. Some distros have this
7 problem; some don't.
8
9 2) After login and password (run level 3), I always get the following
10 two messages. Is this a new feature or a minor bug? The user logs in
11 normally.
12
13 pam_group [n] : not opened
14 PAM_pwdb [n] : (login) session opened for user uuuuu by LOGIN(uid=0)
15
16 3) As I reported on _rc5, package xfce as installed has a dependancy
17 for sox. xfce by default issues the play command (part of sox) to
18 play sounds.
19
20 4) The lines in /etc/devfsd.conf for sound and snd should have
21 permissions 666; otherwise, no normal user mode program (like xfce)
22 can play sounds.
23
24 5) I can't find any way to get the aliases in /etc/profile to be
25 recognized when starting an xterm window under xfce. I've tried
26 adding a ~/.bashrc that does source /etc/profile. I've added --login
27 to both the startxfce and xfterm scripts. Nothing. If I enter ls, no
28 colorization. If I manually source /etc/profile, then ls works with
29 colorization. What am I missing?
30
31 TIA
32 --