From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:39:59
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 20:18, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > I really can't think of much besides kernel + toolchain that can have
4 > such devastating effects to the rest of the tree. The only other
5 > massive breakages would be via eclasses, which was my main target.
6
7 glibc is a good candidate. And portage a second one.
8
9 > Does anyone have any ideas how we could resonably reduce problems
10 > reported from things such as toolchain breakages in an overlay, yet
11 > still not punish the people running the overlay by disallowing it? I
12 > surely wouldn't want to limit the toolchain maintainers from being able
13 > to enjoy the use of an overlay if they wished it.
14
15 Perhaps we could ask people who run overlays with dangerous ebuilds, to have
16 these ebuilds protected by some environment variables. (The var must be set
17 for the ebuild to work.)
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze