From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:03:16
1 On 08 Mar 2002 01:42:34 +0000
2 Tom Newsom <Jeepster@××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > I can if you wish get a guy who started the nvidia drivers to come into
5 > #gentoo and tell you why you`re /opt/ place is wrong.
6
7 We do not want to clutter our /usr hierarchy with proprietary software. It
8 is as much a political decision to put all non-free software in /opt as a
9 technical.
10
11 Hence, there is no way we'll budge on this issue, as it is religious ;p
12
13 (On a similar note; if you see any ebuilds that install non-free software
14 into /usr and not /opt, it is considered a bug, and should be reported to
15 bugs.gentoo.org).
18 Kind regards,
19
20 Karl T