From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The bindist USE flag and RESTRICT=bindist
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:10:55
1 On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 22:12:07 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > We currently have two mechanisms to influence building of packages
6 > that cannot be binary redistributed. Some 150 packages have
7 > RESTRICT=bindist (unconditional, or USE conditional), whereas
8 > 27 packages have the bindist flag in their IUSE. Until very recently,
9 > the two sets were practically disjoint, with only one single package
10 > (www-client/chromium) in both sets.
11 >
12 > As a consequence, neither building with the well-known USE=bindist nor
13 > with ACCEPT_RESTRICT="* -bindist" (presumably less known and Portage
14 > only?) will guarantee that only redistributable binaries will be
15 > built [1].
16 >
17 > So a few days ago I filed bug 541408 and dependent bugs, with the goal
18 > that ebuilds with the bindist flag in their IUSE should also add
19 > RESTRICT="!bindist? ( bindist )". However, it turned out that some 10
20 > packages are using the bindist flag only in REQUIRED_USE but nowhere
21 > else [2] (with foo being some feature flag):
22 >
23 > IUSE="bindist foo"
24 > REQUIRED_USE="bindist? ( !foo )"
25 >
26 > IMHO, the bindist USE flag is redundant in these cases. So we should
27 > get rid of the REQUIRED_USE and add a restriction instead:
28 >
29 > IUSE="foo"
30 > RESTRICT="foo? ( bindist )"
31 >
32 > What do you think? Should we proceed in this direction?
35 obviously, +1 for this
38 from the rest of your email, I understand that RESTRICT=bindist is
39 eapi0 (or even not covered by eapi?), right?
40
41 is there any information on RESTRICT=bindist ? with these 150 packages
42 using it, this sounds like something well known that I had never heard
43 of :/
46 Alexis.