From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:39:56
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:42:48 -0500 Lance Albertson
4 >> <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
5 >> | I'm afraid those days are in the past unless some kind of fork happens
6 >> | where the folks who think we need a leader go their way and the folks
7 >> | who prefer the leader-by-committee approach go their way.
8 >>
9 >> The two aren't mutually exclusive. A strong council can provide the
10 >> equivalent of a single leader without the problems of what to do when
11 >> the leader gets sick, and with less chance of a screwup because of
12 >> increased discussion.
13 >>
14 >> The problem, of course, is how to get a strong council...
15 >
16 > I partially agree that a strong council will help the situation, but the
17 > problem with any leadership-by-committee model is the lack of quick
18 > decisions.
19
20 Rather than complaining on how spineless the last Council and ways of
21 getting it stronger, it's interesting to look back at one-year-worth of
22 Council decisions and see where (and by whom) it has been disobeyed.
23
24 I for one was quite demotivated to see that the Infra team could
25 overrule the Council (and did it twice). Fixing this is the first step
26 in having a strong Council / leader / whatever.
29 Koon
30 Member of the last Council
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list