From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] cdparanoia and libcdio
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:58:16
1 Hi,
2 Ok this was in mind for a bit of time and maybe now is the right moment to
3 bring this up..
4 Cdparanoia [1] is a command line tool + libraries that allows to play cd
5 audio.
6 Currently cdparanoia seems to be dead upstream, and we have had couple of bugs
7 before. It also doesn't work out of the box on Gentoo/FreeBSD.
8
9 On the other hand, libcdio is a live project that provide a
10 cdparanoia-compatible interface, both as command line tool and as libraries
11 that can be easily used instead of cdparanoia.
12
13 Was already discussed to move libcdio's cdparanoia as the default, but carlo
14 suggested to do so in a new cdparanoia ebuild, and I don't really think it's
15 the case to remove cdparanoia from libcdio ebuild and add a new ebuild with a
16 fake version number to have compatibility with dependencies.. yes it's less
17 work, but it's an hack that will make maintaining it an hell.
18 Also because they don't use the same library names: libcdda_interface (from
19 cdparanoia) is libcdio_cdda (in libcdio), while libcdda_paranoia is
20 libcdio_paranoia.
21 I'm not sure about binary compatibility, but it should be safe with source
22 compatibility... but also this needs to be checked.
23
24 My solution would be that: make cdparanoia block a new revision of libcdio
25 (masked for a bit, but devs *please unmask it*), see which dependencies are
26 broken, patch the software to link to libcdio if cdparanoia is missing, and
27 change their dependency to an || ( libcdio cdparanoia ).
28 When nothing depends only on cdparanoia, we can phase it out.
29
30 It would be probably a great work, while probably most of it it's in sound
31 ebuilds (that I can tackle myself), what I"m asking here involves certainly
32 also gstreamer herd, and I'm not sure if there are other packages not in
33 sound or video that uses cdparanoia.
34
35 Comments?
36
37 [1] http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
38 --
39 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
40 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
41 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)