From: maarten@×××××××××××××××.be
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: karltk@×××××××.no
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Made sparc32 port of gentoo
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:13:28
1 Hi!
2
3 > > 1) Are you 'friendly' towards ports?
4 >
5 > Yes.
6
7 Great! I've always found the other linux distributions for sparc lacked
8 coherency as the development team for it is too fragmented. I think a
9 source distribution can get around those problems.
10
11 > > Shall I write a patch?
12 >
13 > Yes.
14
15 OK.
16
17 > > 4) I'm working on a 64-bit capable version using redhat's gcc
18 >
19 > Sounds like a reasonable intermediate solution.
20 >
21 > Will your sparc32 port work on the Sun IPC and IPX machines ?
22
23 Good question. I haven't decided on a lowest common denominator yet. I am
24 currently using -msupersparc for my builds as this is the lowest
25 platform that I can reasonably use to make a stage1. IPC and IPX are just
26 too darn slow :).
27
28 I'll remove the build flags altogether for the stage1 as they're not
29 really needed. In this case the lowest platform would be the lowest
30 supported by kernel/gcc/glibc, that's sun4c (IPC) IIRC.
31
32 Thanks for the input,
33 maarten