From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:36:35
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I know I'm going to regret asking this... but I've prepared a change to
4 the Portage output format and I think it asks for a wider discussion
5 than internally in Portage team.
6
7 The primary problem with the current output format is that different
8 kinds of messages differ only in color. This makes them
9 indistinguishable without colors and hard to grep. ago's been asking
10 for a better way to grep for QA warnings and this is pretty much what
11 motivated me to do this.
12
13 The proposed new format distinguished message types both using colors
14 and strings. This is roughly inspired by Xorg logs. For example,
15 instead of:
16
17 * some message
18 * other message
19 * hell if i know what this is
20
21 You get:
22
23 [WW] some message
24 [EE] other message
25 [QA] hell if i know what this is
26
27 I've also added more colors to explicitly distinguish einfo from elog,
28 and ewarn from eqawarn. Then, I've replaced most of '>>>' and '!!!'
29 used by Portage with four-character versions to keep messages aligned.
30 The 'zings' used for merging files remain three-character, so now it's
31 easily possible to distinguish messages from installed file list.
32
33 The PR doing this is: https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/759
34
35 Example screenshot: