From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:55:30
1 On 04/12/04 Tom St Denis wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On April 12, 2004 08:46 am, brettholcomb@×××××××.net wrote:
7 > > One very nice thing about NOT being compressed is that I can work
8 > > with the files as they are and not have to untar/zip/whatever first.
9 > > I can just
10 > > look at the ebuilds, work with them, etc.
11 >
12 > You could do that with a tool though...
13 >
14 > emerge list app-text/tetex
15 >
16 > Or even make a small "shell" like application so you could navigate
17 > the tree.
18 >
19 > Anyways yeah going way off. I think the best suggestion so far is to
20 > just loopback with a fs that uses small inodes. While I probably
21 > could figure out how to do it, it probably wouldn't be a nice thing
22 > for newer users.
23
24 Well, I still have the vision of modular portdb backends including the
25 current format, sql database and portagefs (which would solve all these
26 problems ;)
27
28 Marius
33 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
34 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.