From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:57:07
1 On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:56:54 +0100
2 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > GPL-2:
5 > Note: this license states that the software is licensed under GNU
6 > General Public License version 2, and you might not be able to
7 > consider it licensed under any later version.
8 >
9 > GPL-2+:
10 > Note: this license explicitly allows licensing under GNU General
11 > Public License version 2 or, at your option, any later version.
12 >
13 > Comments, ideas, proposals?
14
15 >From a purist point of view, I'd be inclined to go with this route.
16 Pragmatically though, given the number of packages that do have the "or
17 later" clause compared to the number that don't, it might be simpler to
18 split them into GPL-2 (implying "or later") and GPL-2-only. That's just
19 a possible naming quibble though -- the idea I like.
20
21 The suggestion to convert all GPL-2-or-later packages to || ( GPL-2
22 GPL-3 ) won't scale -- what happens when GPL-2.1 or GPL-3.1 appear?
23 It's also an awful lot of work for something that is, when you get down
24 to it, wrong.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list