From: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Additions to the I18n docs
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:33:46
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I just went through a new Gentoo installation for one of my machines,
4 and found the missing I18N info in the install docs very unfortunate.
5 Luckily someone pointed me to the i18n docs, but IMHO there should be a
6 link to I18N in the installation docs, as it is a very big part of
7 getting your system installed to a workable state.
8
9 I just read the I18n docs - they are missing quite a bit of info to be
10 useful.
11
12 First off - I DON'T set LANG vars in /etc/rc.conf - that is ugly - and
13 IMHO not the best way of doing it.
14
15 I created a /etc/env.d/02locale file containing:
16
17 LC_CTYPE="da_DK"
18 LESS_CHARSET='iso8859-1'
19 LC_MEASUREMENT='da_DK'
20 LC_TIME='da_DK'
21 LC_MONETARY='da_DK'
22 LC_NUMERIC='da_DK'
23 LC_COLLATE='da_DK'
24 LC_PAPER='da_DK'
25 LC_NAME='da_DK'
26 LC_ADDRESS='da_DK'
27 LC_TELEPHONE='da_DK'
28 MM_CHARSET=ISO_8859-1
29 #LANG=da_DK.ISO_8859-1
30 #LANGUAGE=${LANG}
31
32 I uncommented the LANG/LANGUAGE vars, cause then I get danish keyboard,
33 and programs that can print danish characters - but my system doesn't
34 start speaking to me in Danish - which I hate - and which also decreases
35 my chance of being able to google for the answer, based on an error
36 message.
37
38 Especially the LC_CTYPE has haunted me many a times - f.ex. Gaim just
39 croaked when it got a danish character if I didn't have this var set to
40 danish characters.
41
42 I would suggest that this could be added as an Ebuild for each language
43 - with the option of keeping the system language to english, while
44 supporting selected language.
47 Regards,
48 Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl@××××.dk - http://www.vsen.dk
49 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
50 See my new CMS Hosting Service at http://www.VirkPaaNettet.dk
51
52 Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
53 Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
54 who is carrying a .38.
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list