From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:18:13
1 On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 19:55 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
3 > enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
4 > testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
5 > We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
6 > backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
7 > update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
8 > never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
9 > of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
10 > external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
11 > for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
12 > the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
13
14 I don't feel that the list of requirements you have for "enterprise"
15 linux is necessarily what the enterprise needs..
16
17 I think Gentoo has some steps that can be taken to be a better
18 enterprise player, but to come out and state that it won't work is a bit
19 bold. It might not work for HP's description of "enterprise", but that
20 doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else. I have talked with
21 people who have used Gentoo in HPC clusters with great success, and I
22 would consider that an enterprise arena.
23
24 > I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
25 > is a mistake. I think that we are a hobbyist distribution. This
26 > doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
27 > goals. Those things can be important to hobbyists too. But I don't
28 > think we should be aiming for corporate America.
29
30 Wow... as a sysadmin who has run Gentoo in some very high profile
31 production systems that's a bit offensive to think I used it outside of
32 a hobbyist platform.. IBM didn't just donate a $30k system for ppc64
33 development to make it better for someone's basement use, so I don't
34 think I'm alone in thinking that Gentoo is above "hobbyist".
35
36 > I don't even understand why that goal appeals to people. Let other
37 > distros go there! I want Gentoo to run in people's homes, in student
38 > dorm rooms, etc. Places where people want a fun distribution that
39 > they can tailor and work on easily.
40
41 Let other distros go there at $1500/year/node (RHEL AS)...
42
43 Gentoo is already a fun distribution.. I don't think that has to change
44 to meet enterprise goals.
45
46 > If RH or SuSE (or another for-profit Linux vendor) wants to take some
47 > of those developments and use them to make a profit, that's fine with
48 > me. We're over here having fun.
49
50 Personally, I was drawn to Gentoo by the community, which was a lot of
51 fun. I still have fun working with the people in this community. I
52 don't see why an enterprise goal should be equated with losing the fun
53 aspect of Gentoo.
54
55 Cheers,
56