From: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:08:52
1 On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 05:23 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
3 >
4 > >> Can we please avoid the bloat of another directory level here?
5 > >> ${CATEGORY}/${PN} will be even longer than ${PF} in most cases.
6 >
7 > > The problem is that ($PN, $CATEGORY) pairs are not unique. Think of
8 > > x11-terms/terminal:0 and gnustep-apps/terminal:0, or
9 > > app-misc/beagle:0 and sci-libs/beagle:0, or app-misc/nut:0 and
10 > > sys-power/nut:0. I could not think of any better solution than using
11 > > $CATEGORY/$PN-$SLOT.
12 >
13 > Thinking about it a little more, I believe that ${CATEGORY} shouldn't
14 > appear anywhere in the path of installed files, for the following
15 > reasons:
16 >
17 > 1. Users may not know the category of a package, therefore it's not
18 > obvious for them where to find its documentation. (Think of it from
19 > the perspective of a user on a multiuser system, who didn't install
20 > the packages on that system.) OTOH, the name of the package (PN) is
21 > obvious in most cases, since it will coincide with the upstream
22 > name.
23
24 Every other distro includes the category in the package name, for
25 example Debian puts mod_fastcgi documentation
26 in /usr/share/doc/libapache2-mod-fastcgi and in practice it's really not
27 that big of a problem
28
29 > 2. It doesn't play well with bash completion. When searching for
30 > documentation of a specific package (and only knowing PN), one can
31 > currently type the pathname up to PN and press tab which will
32 > complete PVR. With CATEGORY _before_ PN this would no longer work.
33
34 It's just an ls -d /usr/share/doc/*/$PN, not worth worrying about
38 Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
39 Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
40 http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib