From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Allow variable refs in HOMEPAGE
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 19:35:15
1 >>>>> On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > I would like to remove the ban on variable references in the
4 > HOMEPAGE variable in ebuilds.
5
6 I think this is not a good idea. For example, it would break
7 browse-url-at-point (C-u u .) from within Emacs.
8
9 > [...]
10
11 > Allowing variables in HOMEPAGE would allow for easier copying of
12 > similar/identical ebuilds. For example, see the trivial ebuilds in
13 > my overlay below.
14
15 Ebuilds are read more often than they are written. IMHO there is no
16 benefit in optimising the latter at the expense of the former.
17
18 Ulrich