From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: williamh@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: initramfs required on Linux systems with separate /usr
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:18:32
1 On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:43:22 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Title: Separate /usr on Linux requires initramfs
5 > Author: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
6 > Content-Type: text/plain
7 > Posted: 2013-09-27
8 > Revision: 1
9 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
10 >
11 > In the meeting on 24-Sep-2013, the Gentoo Council agreed that all
12 > preparations for dropping support for Linux systems with /usr on a
13 > separate file system that do not use an initramfs are complete.
14
15 This sentence feels long and yields multiple questions for the user:
16
17 1) Where can I read more about this meeting? What is the Gentoo Council?
18 2) What are these preparations? Does the user need to know about them?
19 3) Why is support being dropped? Why was it a problem?
20
21 Since some of these are not really important to start the news with; I
22 would suggest to start the mail about the drop in support and give some
23 reference to another article/mail describing the problem after that.
24
25 So, something along the lines of:
26
27 Linux systems with /usr on a separate file system that do not use
28 an initramfs will become unsupported, starting on 01-Nov-2013.
29
30 Then go on like:
31
32 This decision has been taken because of [problem]; you can read
33 more about that in [article/mail references]."
34
35 We could probably leave out the meeting and preparations; remember that
36 the mail is focused towards the user, so should focus on why the
37 situation changes and how the user can accommodate with that. If it is
38 a necessity to add it, please consider doing it at the end.
39
40 > Therefore, starting on 01-Nov-2013, we will consider this
41 > configuration to be unsupported.
42
43 The date has been embedded in my above rewording, avoiding repetition.
44
45 > This means if you have a separate /usr configuration, it is important
46 > to convert to using an initramfs. If you do not convert and you
47 > upgrade packages on or after 01-Nov-2013, you will, at some point,
48 > find that your system is unbootable.
49 >
50 > For more information on creating an initramfs, see the following URL:
51 >
52 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/HOWTO
53
54 Sounds good; since this is the most important to the user, we might
55 want to restructure this to be mentioned earlier in the news message.
56 Possibly between the two example sentences I gave.
59 With kind regards,
60
61 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
62 Gentoo Developer
63
64 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
65 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
66 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D